Talkin' 'bout Collaboration: New Stories on Public School Insights
New success stories keep coming in from districts across the country--Many thanks to Public School Insights readers who have taken time to submit news about what's working in their schools.
Many of the stories we have posted over the past two weeks focus on community connections. Here's a sample:
- A Sunny Day in Multnomah County: The SUN Community Schools Story (Multnomah County, Oregon). 3/31/08
Schools Uniting Neighborhoods, or SUN schools, prove that schools working with their communities can do more than just teach math and reading. They can transform neighborhoods and help young people succeed.
- Collaborative Workshop Identifies Priorities (Hampton City Schools, Virginia). 3/27/08
by involving the entire community in setting goals for its schools, Hampton City's school district has made impressive academic strides.
- Sayre High School and UPenn Join Forces to Improve Community's Health (Sayre Area School District, Pennsylvania). 3/21/08
Through an innovative collaboration with the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Community Partnerships, Sayre High School has dramatically dropped suspension rates, increased attendance and improved the community's health.
- Pre-Kindergarten Program is Increasing Readiness (Harrison County Public Schools, West Virginia). 3/17/08
Harrison County Schools in Clarksburg, W.Va., was named the state's winner in the 2008 National Civic Star Award competition for its pre-kindergarten program, a collaborative effort designed to prepare all the district's children for kindergarten.
- Pinellas County Schools Keep Character at the Core (Pinellas County Schools, Florida). 3/11/08
The Commitment to Character (C2C) program, a collaborative effort between the school district and the University of South Florida, promotes high student achievement in a safe and respectful learning environment.
Click here to browse dozens of Public School Insights interviews with extraordinary education advocates, including:
- National PTA President Otha Thornton on the Common Core
- 2013 School Counselor of the Year Mindy Willard on the state of her profession
- Supervisor of Administration John Swang on saving money in energy costs
The views expressed in this website's interviews do not necessarily represent those of the Learning First Alliance or its members.
Inspiring Students to Do Their Best
At Fox C-6 School District in Missouri, an emphasis on a character initiative is helping students thrive. District performance outranks the state in math and ELA in grades 3 through 8, and graduation rates are over 90 percent. Learn more...
- AACTE's Ed Prep Matters
- ISTE Connects
- PTA's One Voice
- PDK Blog
- The EDifier
- School Board News Today
- Legal Clips
- Learning Forward’s PD Watch
- NAESP's Principals' Office
- NASSP's Principal's Policy Blog
- The Principal Difference
- ASCA Scene
- Always Something
- NSPRA: Social School Public Relations
- Transforming Learning
- AASA's The Leading Edge
- AASA Connects (formerly AASA's School Street)
- NEA Today
- Lily's Blackboard
What Else We're Reading
- DQC's The Flashlight
- Center for Teaching Quality
- The Answer Sheet
- Politics K-12
- U.S. Department of Education Blog
- John Wilson Unleashed
- The Core Knowledge Blog
- This Week in Education
- Inside School Research
- Teacher Leadership Today
- On the Shoulders of Giants
- Teacher in a Strange Land
- Teach Moore
- The Tempered Radical
- The Educated Reporter
- Taking Note
- Character Education Partnership Blog
- Why I Teach