Hirsh, executive director of Learning Forward, brings a wealth of leadership experience to LFA as the organization continues its work for the advancement of public education
Common Core Resources
LFA organizations are producing materials and guides for their members to support and guide them in the implementation process; links to some of these resources can be found below.
To read interviews with representatives of our member organizations that focus on Common Core implementation as well as commentary from our blog on Common Core, please view additional content here.
Learning First Alliance (LFA)
As part of the Get it Right campaign, LFA published a report Getting Common Core Right: What We've Learned. The piece highlights three key lessons, gleaned from interviews with state and local officials and on-the-ground practitioners, on what it will take to get Common Core right.
LFA Deputy Director Anne O'Brien has also blogged on Common Core on Edutopia. Posts include:
- When Teachers and Administrators Collaborate
- What Do Parents Need to Know About the Common Core?
- Common Core in Action: Reviving the Civic Mission of Schools
AASA's May 2014 issue of The School Administrator focuses on the Common Core. The full issue can be found here. Individual highlights are linked below.
- Common Core and Other State Standards (released June 2014)
- How to Talk Publicly About the Common Core
- The Common Core Cs of Change
- Curricula for the Common Core
The June 2015 issue of The School Administrator focuses on Common Core assessments. View it here.
The AFT has a collection of Common Core resources available on its website. Some provide AFT positions, some outline key issues regarding implementation, and others redirect to external sites. Here are some examples of key AFT resources that may be particularly relevant.
- Common Core Classroom Resources
- Assessing Implementation of the Common Core State Standards
- Assessing Alignment to the Common Core State Standards: A Curriculum Review Tool for Mathematics; English Language Arts
- Debunking Myths
The AFT Innovation Fund is also supporting local state affiliates in the rollout of Common Core - examples of state work can be found here.
ASCD has an extensive collection of Common Core resources available here. They have book recommendations, webinars, toolkits and more. Some resources are member only. Highlights include:
- Fufilling the Promise of the Common Core State Standards Report
- A professional development webinar series
- EduCore: Tools for Teaching Common Core
- ASCD's Common Core topic page
ASCD also offers the Core Connection e-newsletter, sent every two weeks, which features the latest Common Core State Standards news, including state-level policy updates, information on assessments and professional development, and resources for educators. Sign up here.
Learning Forward's full set of resources are available here, as part of the Transforming Professional Learning to Prepare College- and Career-Ready Students: Implementing the Common Core initiative. The collection includes numerous articles from Learning Forward staff, as well as research and reports on implementation challenges, the importance of imbedded professional learning, and much more.
Specific items of interest include:
- Comprehensive Professional Learning System: A Workbook for Districts and States
- Guiding District Implementation of the Common Core State Standards: Innovation Configuration Maps
- School-based Professional Learning for Implementing the Common Core
- Meet the Promise of Content Standards: Professional Learning Required
NAESP's resources can be found here (some are for members only) and include webinars, resources for principals relating to professional development for teachers, and links to several external sites. Some highlights, which are available to the public, include:
- New Common Core Briefs Highlight Shifts in Instruction, Assessments (Communicator, January 2014)
- Common Core Implementation Checklist for Principals
- Implementing the Common Core State Standards: The Role of the Elementary School Principal Action Brief
- Twelve Key Common Core Shifts: Action Steps for Principals
NAESP also dedicated the September/October 2012 issue of Principal to exploring issues around the Common Core. View it here (some items are available to the public, others are for members only).
NASSP has resources available on their website here (some are for members only while other items are available to the public). View an extensive set of webinars and accompanying powerpoints, as well as a series of articles for principals. Topics include moving to standards-based grading, what's new about the standards,the key to successful implementation and more.
- Policy Recommendations for College & Career Ready Standards in Secondary Schools (released June 2014)
- Implementing the Common Core State Standards: The Role of a Secondary School Leader
- The Principal as Curriculum Leader
- The Principal Difference Blog
NEA has Common Core resources available on their website. They include an overview, information on NEA's involvement with the standards, a toolkit (pdf format), a policy brief and external links.
- Common Core State Standards Toolkit
- 5 Facts: Making Common Sense of the Common Core
- Common Core State Standards: A Tool for Improving Education
- CC Better Lesson (External site, with over 3000 Common Core aligned classroom lessons for K-12)
NSBA's collection of statements around academic standards can be found here. NSBA's Center for Public Education has an extensive set of resources for understanding the Common Core, available here, including:
- Testing Common Core (American School Board Journal, February 2015)
- Understanding the Common Core State Standards: What are they - what are they not
- Halfway There: Implementing the Common Core State Standards (webinar)
- Governing to the Core (three issues briefs from the California School Boards Association): The Common Core, Setting Direction for Common Core, and Acquiring Instructional Materials
Search NSPRA's Common Core Communication Network by topic, or by resource type, depending on whether you are looking for specific content or specific ways to deliver messages. NSPRA members have access to all materials, but there are many resources available to nonmembers. Examples include:
- Common Core Communication Network: New Content
- Common Core Mythbusters
- Projected Low Test Scores and What to Do and Say about Them
- Dealing with Critics
The National PTA has an extensive set of resources available on their website's Common Core State Standards Initiative page. They include a parent's guide to student success that outlines what students should be able to do in each grade, an issue brief, articles about Common Core, content briefs for math and reading and a growing number of state focused assessment guides for parents. Highlights include:
- State Assessment Guides
- Parents' Guide to Student Success
- Common Core Video Series
- Common Core and Data Collection
PDK International's Kappan magazine offers the Common Core Writing Project, a forum for ideas about implementing the stsandards. The site houses recent Kappan articles related to the issue and also provides the opportunity for educators to submit their own stories. It features practical stories of successful practice as well as advocacy pieces. Highlights include: